P-51’ing the Kilt

A week before Dragon•Con and six nights before everything has to be packed and ready to go. Seems like a good time to start building this year’s costume. As mentioned earlier this year I’m going to emulate the P-51 Mustang and painting those designs onto my kilt. My kilt was purchased from Damn Near Kilt ‘Em and I have to admit I was hesitant about defacing the kilt.

Now that I have started painting I feel exciting with how it’s starting to look. Tonight I masked off the bottom three inches of the kilt pleats and painted two coats of Martha Stewart Crafts Metallic Acrylic Craft Paint. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to finish since I ran out of paint. Tomorrow, I’ll finish the silver and add the yellow (or maybe black) checkers.

Taped off kilt edge.
One coat on the left, two coats on the right.
First coat of paint.
Painting on first coat.
Martha’s silver paint and a foam brush.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *